I run workshops for schools and community groups, designed to meet their specific requirements. Sessions may be linked to curriculum themes or they can focus on skills and techniques. I use a variety of media including textiles and recycled materials (paper, cardboard and plastics) and I offer:
- Basic weaving
- Mark-making including simple printing
- Junk modeling
I have experience of working in:
- Schools: primary, secondary and special (accommodating a range of additional needs)
- Community groups: drop-in sessions, regular classes and one-off events
- Family learning / parent and carer sessions in schools and children’s centres
- Creative gatherings working with other practitioners.
A workshop can last between an hour and a full day and may be an after-school or enrichment activity, an element of a special event such as an arts week and can take place in a classroom, community centre and even outdoors!
Planning and preparation with the host institution is key to the success and enjoyment of the work. This does not exclude the chance to be experimental but it ensures structure, differentiation and inclusion.
I like to include elements of ritual and sharing to give participants the opportunity to present their work and reflect on the processes involved. Creating something typically leads to conversation and a feeling of achievement.
Current rates are £250 per day plus materials . Charges are negotiable for shorter sessions.
I hold a current DBS enhanced disclosure